The linguists of Latvian Language Agency provide consulting related to various topics in Latvian language, available to any resident. Major part of consultations deals with:
- Proper spelling of foreign proper nouns in Latvian corresponding to the standards of literary language.
- Spelling and orthography of persons’ names and cases of personal identification (for example, to acknowledge that Ivans (in Russian), Johans (in German) and Jānis (in Latvian) might be the same person whose first name just has been adapted according to the standards and traditions of the language it has been spelled in).
- Questions related to orthography, literary pronunciation (orthoepy), grammar, language culture and literary style.
Also, our experts provide linguistic examinations and expertise, i.e. elaborate linguistic explanation and interpretation of a word, sentence or parts of text – how to understand and perceive it in a given context.
To obtain certificate about the spelling of a foreign proper noun in Latvian, a valid document (passport or birth-certificate) that states the original form of the respective proper noun or a copy of such document must be presented.
The spelling and identification of persons’ names in Latvian is regulated by the State Language Law and Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Latvia, Regulation No 114 “Regulations on Spelling, Usage and Identification of Names and Family Names”.
According to the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Latvia, Regulation No 179 “Regulations on state agency’s “Latvian Language Agency” paid public service’s price list”, Latvian Language Agency, as of April 1, 2011, will charge for the following services:
- Acknowledging the identification of a person whose person’s name is written in different languages
- Acknowledging the identification of a person whose person’s name (first name and/or family name) has various spellings in Latvian
- Acknowledging the identification of one’s kin name (first name and/or family name) that has various spelling variants
- Regarding the change of first name or family name
2) Linguistic examinations and conclusions regarding the explanation and interpretation of a word, sentence or parts of text
3) Linguistic expertise related to the explanation and interpretation of a word, sentence or parts of text
Linguistic consultations in brief
Our linguistic experts service customers at the Latvian Language Agency, Lāčplēša Street 35-5, Riga, LV-1011.
Office hours: Monday – Thursday: 8.30-17.00 (please note our lunch break 13.00 – 13.30)
Consulting is available via:
- Phone (+371 6722 5879)
- In person